Area: 329 247 kmÂ² (127 123 milesÂ²)
Capital: Hanoi. Population: 3.2 million
Population: 83.6 million
Currency: DÃ´ng (VND symbol â‚«)
Government: Socialist republic since 1980. Gained independence from France in 1954.
Tipping: Tipping is now quite customary, especially in tourist areas. Upscale restaurants and hotels may add a 5 to 10% service charge to the bill.
Time zone: GMT + 7
Vietnam: Social customs
Handshaking and a vocal greeting is normal. Clothing should be kept simple, informal and discreet. Avoid shorts if possible as they are usually only worn by children. Footwear should be removed when enteringRead more Buddhist pagodas. Vietnamese people should not be touched on the head.Photography: There are restrictions at ports, airports and harbours, and in similar areas elsewhere. It is courteous to ask permission first before taking photographs of people.
Vietnam: Food and local specialties
Vietnamese cooking is varied and usually very good. It is a mixture of Vietnamese, Chinese and French traditions, with a plethora of regional specialities. As in all countries of the region, rice or noodlesRead more usually provide the basis of a meal. Not surprisingly, fish is plentiful. The national specialties are: Breakfast is generally noodle soup locally known as pho. French-style baguettes are available throughout Vietnam. Nem (spring rolls - pork mixed with noodles, eggs and mushrooms wrapped in rice paper, fried and served hot). Banh chung (glutinous rice, pork and onions wrapped in large leaves and cooked for up to 48 hours, to be eaten cold at any time). Vietnamese dishes are not complete without nuoc mam, a fermented fish sauce. Green tea is refreshing and available everywhere. The French culinary legacy embraces rich, fresh, filter coffee, usually brewed on the table in front of the customer. Bia Hoi, a local draught beer available at street stalls everywhere. It is not only cheap, but free of additives. Rice wine is also a favourite throughout the country. It is generally extremely potent.
- Sunrise Hoi An Beach Resort, Hoi An
- Grand Silverland Hotel & Spa, Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)
- Legend Hotel Saigon, Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)
- Le Belhamy Resort & Spa, Hoi An
- Furama Resort Danang, Hoi An
- Vinh Hung Riverside Resort & Spa, Hoi An
- Sunrise Beach Hotel & Spa Nha Trang, Nha Trang
- Hotel Majestic, Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)
- Vinpearl Luxury Nha Trang, Nha Trang
- Victoria Phan Thiet Beach Resort And Spa, Phan Thiet
- Hoi An Hotel, Hoi An
- Swiss-Belhotel Golden Sand Resort & Spa Hoi An, Hoi An
- Somerset Ho Chi Minh City, Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)
- Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, Hanoi
- Novotel Saigon Centre, Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)
- Paradise Peak Cruise, Hạ Long
- Golden Central Hotel Saigon, Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)
- Palm Garden Beach Resort & Spa, Hoi An
- Huong Sen Hotel, Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)
- Ana Mandara Hue, Hue