Area: 779 452 km² (300 948 miles²)
Capital: Ankara. Population: 3.5 million
Population: 73.3 million
Currency: New Turkish Lira (TRY symbol YTL) = 100 New Kurus (Ykr)
Government: Republic since 1923.
Tipping: A service charge is included in hotel and restaurant bills. It is customary to leave a small tip (10 to 12%) for barbers, hairdressers and waiters.
Legal drinking age: 18
Time zone: GMT + 2 (GMT + 3 from last Sunday in March to last Sunday in October)
Turkey: Social customs
Shaking hands is the normal form of greeting. Hospitality is very important and visitors should respect Islamic customs. Informal wear is acceptable, but beachwear should be confined to the beach or poolside.Read more Smoking is widely acceptable but prohibited in cinemas, theatres, buses, coaches and dolmuses (collective taxis).
Turkey: Food and local specialties
Turkish food combines culinary traditions from the people’s nomadic past in Central Asia with influences of the Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine. Guests are usually able to go into a kitchen andRead more choose from the pots if they cannot understand the names of the dishes. Things to know: Turkey is a secular state and alcohol is widely enjoyed, although during Ramadan it is considered polite for visitors to avoid drinking alcohol in public. The national specialties are: Meze (starters brought to your table on trays or chosen from glass-fronted refrigerators). Shish kebab (pieces of meat threaded on a skewer and grilled). Doner kebab (pieces of lamb packed tightly round a revolving spit). Dolma (vine leaves or vegetables stuffed with pine nuts and currants). Turkish Delight (originally made from dates, honey, roses and jasmine bound by Arabic gum and designed to sweeten the breath after coffee). Raki (anisette), known as ’lion’s milk’, which clouds when water is added. Drinking raki is a ritual and is traditionally accompanied by a variety of meze. Ayran (a refreshing yoghurt drink). Tea. Strong black Turkish coffee. Turkish beer, red and white wines.
- Fraser Place Anthill Istanbul, Istanbul
- The Marmara Taksim, Istanbul
- Rixos Elysium Suites Taksim, Istanbul
- Grand Hyatt Istanbul, Istanbul
- The House Hotel Nisantasi, Istanbul
- Ceylan InterContinental Istanbul, Istanbul
- Radisson Blu Bosphorus Hotel, Istanbul
- Elite Hotel, Istanbul
- Gezi Hotel Bosphorus Istanbul, Istanbul
- Best Western Plus The President Hotel, Istanbul
- Opera Hotel, Istanbul
- The Sofa Hotel Istanbul, Istanbul
- Deluxe Golden Horn Sultanahmet Hotel, Istanbul
- Innova Sultanahmet Istanbul, Istanbul
- Cinar Hotel, Istanbul
- Hilton Istanbul, Istanbul
- Sura Design Hotel & Suites, Istanbul
- Misafir Suites Istanbul, Istanbul
- The Central Palace, Istanbul
- Georges Hotel Galata, Istanbul