- General Info
Area: 581 730 km² (224 607 miles²)
Capital: Gaborone. Population: 208 411
Population: 1.7 million
Currency: Pula (BWP symbol P) = 100 thebe
Government: Republic since 1966.
Tipping: A discretionary 5 to 10%. In many places, a service charge is automatically added. It is customary to tip the game guide and lodge staff while on safari.
Legal drinking age: 18
Time zone: GMT + 2
Botswana: Social customs
As most people in Botswana follow their traditional pattern of life, visitors should be sensitive to customs which will inevitably be unfamiliar to them. Outside urban areas, people may well not be usedRead more to visitors. Casual clothing is acceptable and, in urban centres, normal courtesies should be observed.Photography: Airports, official residences and defence establishments should not be photographed. Permission should be obtained to photograph local people.
Botswana: Food and local specialties
Restaurants and bars can be found in main towns, often within hotels. Millet and sorghum porridge constitutes much of the cuisine. Beef and goat are very popular meats. Most lodges and safari camps alsoRead more have restaurants and licensed bars, although food is generally basic outside major hotels and restaurants. The standard of food in lodges and camps is generally very good. There is local beer and no real restrictions on alcohol. The national specialties are: Morama (an underground tuber). The Kalahari truffle. The Mopane worm (boiled, cooked or deep-fried). Beans such as cow peas, ditloo and letlhodi, dried bean leaves, plus nuts like peanuts and groundnuts. Wild spinach, morogo is very tasty. Palm wine (which is extremely strong) and Kgadi (made from distilled sugar or fungus). Traditional beer such as khadi or bojalwa, which tastes a bit like apple cider. Homemade ginger beer is popular. Bush tea (or Rooibos) is a reddish caffeine-free tea that is soothing and delicious, although something of an acquired taste.
- Phakalane Golf Estate, Gaborone
- MONDIOR GABORONE, Gaborone
- METCOURT AT THE GRAND PALM, Gaborone
- CRESTA RILEYS HOTEL, Maun
- CRESTA LODGE GABORONE, Gaborone
- CRESTA PRESIDENT HOTEL, Gaborone
- CRESTA MARANG AND RESIDENCY HOTEL, Francistown
- CRESTA THAPAMA HOTEL, Francistown
- Gaborone Sun Hotel, Gaborone
- CRESTA BOSELE HOTEL, Selebi-Phikwe
- MAUN LODGE, Maun
- CHIEFS CAMP - ALL INCLUSIVE, Maun
- CHOBE CHILWERO LODGE - ALL INCLUSIVE, Kasane
- PHAKALANE GOLF ESTATE HOTEL, Gaborone
- CRESTA BOTSALO HOTEL, Palapye
- Walmont At The Grand Palm, Gaborone
- ADANSONIA HOTEL, Francistown
- CRESTA MOWANA SAFARI LODGE, Kasane